Scottish eco-schools lead the way
Posted: 5 April 2011
Cumbernauld College Nursery in North Lanarkshire, has become the 1,200th Scottish school to be awarded the Green Flag Award for its commitment to environmental excellence.
The Eco-Schools award scheme recognises schools around the world which make a commitment to continuously improve their environmental performance. It also helps to raise awareness of environmental and sustainable development issues through activities linked to the school curriculum.
The programme is funded in Scotland by the Scottish Government, and delivered in partnership with Keep Scotland Beautiful, which is designed to encourage whole-school action for the environment.
Three levels of award are available on the Eco-Schools Scotland initiative - Bronze, Silver and Green Flag.
Kate Campbell, Eco-Schools Manager in Scotland told Planet 21, "We're delighted with the fact that over 60 percent of all local authority schools in Scotland have now achieved the Silver Award and over 38 percent are now flying the Green Flag. "
Pupils, staff and the wider communities around them have put in a lot of hard work to gain these Awards and we're constantly amazed by the ideas and imagination shown by pupils and staff when we visit schools. With 98 percent of all local authority schools registered on the Eco-Schools Scotland programme, we're sure it won't be long before we're celebrating our 1,300th Green Flag!”
Derek A. Robertson, Chief Executive of Keep Scotland Beautiful, which manages the Eco-Schools programme in Scotland, said, “The level of participation in the Eco-Schools programme in Scotland is remarkable, and a credit to schools and pupils who are taking an increasing interest in sustainable development issues. Scotland is one of the leading countries in the world when it comes to Eco-Schools awards.”
For more information on Eco Schools Scotland please visit www.ecoschoolsscotland.org
- Welcome to our Website
- Voices from Planet 21
- COMMENTARY: The case for family planning that Rio+20 forgot
- Women at Rio+20: disappointed and outraged
- Rio+20 Earth Summit: campaigners decry final document
- Zero Ten Twenty - The Children of Rio
- Rio+20 Earth summit talks turn into rubber-stamp job
- COMMENTARY: Creating a green growth guarantee for the Rio Earth Summit
- Vast rewards of education for girls and boys - everywhere
- Scottish eco-schools lead the way
- How to trigger greener, smarter growth - while fighting poverty
- COMMENTARY: Tipping points on the road to disaster
- People and the planet 'shortchanged' at G20
- 'Global green economy can save the planet'
- POZNAN COMMENTARY: Rhetoric and reality at climate talks